At Westfield Nursery and Primary School, we strive to educate all our children in an environment where learning, respect and the community are promoted.
Safeguarding is the action we take to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm.
This is everyone’s responsibility. Everyone who comes into contact with children and families has a role to play.
Safeguarding covers a broad agenda and aims to achieve the following:
- Prevention: Positive school atmosphere, teaching and pastoral support to pupils.
- Protection: By following agreed procedures, ensuring staff are trained and supported to respond appropriately and sensitively to Child Protection concerns.
- Support: Ensuring children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care and taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
Our key aims as a school are to ensure:
- All our pupils are safe and protected from harm.
- Other elements of provision and policies are in place to enable pupils to feel safe and adopt safe practices;
- Staff, pupils, governors, visitors, volunteers and parents are aware of the expected behaviours’ and the school’s legal responsibilities in relation to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all of our pupils.
Our School recognises that it has an explicit duty to safeguard, protect and promote the welfare of children from abuse and to work together with other agencies to ensure adequate arrangements within our school to identify, assess and support those children who are suffering harm.
Every staff member and Governor is trained to Level 1 safeguarding and also holds the Prevent certificate. However, below you will see the key people to talk to who are trained to Level 3.
We believe that Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and as such our school aims to create the safest environment within which every pupil has the opportunity to strive and reach their potential. We recognise the importance of us ensuring our pupils know how to seek support, feel that they will be listened to and appropriate action taken. We will do this by endeavouring to work in partnership with other agencies and seek to establish effective working relationships with parents, carers and other colleagues to develop and provide activities and opportunities throughout our curriculum that will help to equip our children with the skills they need. This will include materials and learning experiences that will encourage our children to develop essential life skills and protective behaviours.
At Westfield, we follow and adhere to the Cumbria Local Safeguarding Children Board procedures and a direct link to their website is available at this link: http://www.cumbrialscb.com
Any concerns or support sought will be via Cumbria Children's Services who strive to offer families with the support they require. They will work with us in an integrated way to improve outcomes for our children and their families. More information is available from their website: https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/childrensservices/aboutus.asp
Safeguarding is about ensuring that everyone is safe from harm – safe from bullying, safe from people who could abuse, safe from discrimination or harassment – and that we all feel safe in our environment.
Further information can be found in these key policies:
Access and Inclusion leader, Designated Safeguarding & Child Protection Officer (Level 3)
Headteacher, Deputy Designated Safeguarding & Child Protection Officer (Level 3)
Deputy headteacher, Deputy Designated Safeguarding & Child Protection Officer (Level 3)